I’m planning my first ride to Mt. Tamalpais this Thanksgiving Day weekend 2011. The guys at Pashnit.com say that this is one of their favorite rides in all of California. Here is their suggested route plus I added directions to and from the vista point on the Marin side (north) of the Golden Gate Bridge. Here is the route. I will update this post with comments and photos after the ride.
What a great ride! A few things to note:
– Eastridge Road to the East peak of Mt. Tamapais opens at 7:00 A.M.
– Westridge Road towards Bolinas-Fairfax Road opens at 9:00 A.M.
– Watch out for wild turkeys on the road (yes, I said wild turkeys!)
– The East Peak parking lot costs $8.00 to park.
– It was very windy on top of Mt. Tam, dress accordingly
– Bolinas-Fairfax Road takes you next to Abbott Lake
– You cross Abbott Lake Dam which is very interesting to see
– The road to Fairfax was covered with wet pine needles, slippery!
This was well worth the cold dawn ride to see this much beauty. From Mt. Tam, you can see all around the Bay Area and well out into the Pacific. You traverse through pine and redwood forests, rolling grassy hills, and high mountain peaks. Just breathtaking, and less than 30 minutes from San Francisco!